Summer Research Program at Tsukuba University 2017 (It's time to learn more about research)

Heiho!!!
Do you believe with a miracle ? do you believe that positive thinking can make your life better ? and do you believe that your dream can comes true? Yes, I Do! I always believe the power of positive thinking can make some miracles happen and makes your dreams come true! It's not just about hard working but, positive thinking can make it to!
Yep! this is already happened in my life. I think this is not olny happened once, but twice ? or more than twice!. From all of the miracles happened in my life, my best is I’m going to Japan!!! 
I love Japan since I'm still in the elementary school. Maybe it's because Manga. I love reading and collecting manga, and my childhood dream was going to Japan, and meet mangaka. HAHA that was funny right ? 
Getting older, I still love Japan with it's manga. But then I know the other interesting things from Japan. I know that Japan is a developed country which  has so many advanced technologies. People in Japan are very disciplined, they really on time, like they don't like coming late even though it's just 5 minutes. They really hard worker too. This is make me really wanna going to Japan, but it's not to meet Mangaka, it's not to do travelling. I wanna go to Japan to study. To do what Japanese people do. Be a hard worker, honest people, disciplined, respect each other especially with oldest. 
It  will  be very different from Indonesia I think. Hmm honestly I'm not a discipline person, I make a daily plan, but my plan wouldn't 100% success. hehe 
But ya I really wanna try to being local people in Japan.
After imagine all of the things above, I bravely write Study in Japan in my bucket list. (I think I make this from Senior High School). My first trying to goal my bucket list was when I was in Senior High School I ever joined Japanese Club, try to learn Japanese but in the end I quit the club, because I thought I lost my happy Saturday. And ya, I failed to make my first step.
Second try is I always see about Japanese scholarship, and really wanna take these way, but I think God has not allowed me to register my self in that time. You know what ? my National examination mark was not enough to register the scholarship, where areas before it was only use the mark from the class report. Ya, I can't do anything, but it really didn't make me easy to give up. 
As you know, now I am a medical student of Udayana University. Since being a medical student, I tried to focus with my dreams. Be a doctor and try to join exchange to Japan or continue my study to Japan. I took Japanese course to learn Japanese, I took the course like 6 months, and at least I can introduce my self, asking some question, and write hiragana and katakana (I still blind in Kanji for sure ). I was very happy, because I made my first progress, despite so many temptations while I was taking the course (campus activity).
After quit from the course I try to focus with my study because I'm not a smart student that's why I should study harder than the other. I still love to searching on the internet and take a look of a scholarship, or a programs that held in Japan. It's so many programs, but wasn't appropriate with me, till one day, one of my friend sent an Information about Summer Research in Japan in my class group chat. I really curious about it, and I ask the details from my friend. It sounds  interesting, it was a 2 weeks Summer Research at Tsukuba University. Some people who join these Research can get scholarship too ( free for fee of registration, dormitory and also can get the free airfare).
For submit the Research we need to write an essay about why I wanna join these event, and why I choose that laboratory (since so many option of the laboratories). I submitted my essay and I choose Diagnostic Surgical Pathology (OMG seriously I thought I was sleepy when I choose and wrote the essay). Wrote these essay is really not an opinion, I open about 3 journals about pathology( I thought so )to support my essay. After finish wrote my essay, I pray (If this is my way, please let me join this event, If isn't I will try in another way, try to study harder). I really can't do anything after this, just wait until the announcement date.
The day's coming, I try to open the website but it wasn't make a different pages, try to refresh again and still the same. Looked my email and still the same. I did this so many times until evidently it was annouce that the annoucement will be late because so many student registated this event ( you know, after saw these annoucement, I'm not sure I can join this event). After these annoucement I close my internet page.
In the next day, my couriosity is more than before. But i feel so hopeless don't like yesterday. I tried to open my email and refresh it and close it. When I closed it, it saw a new email. I'm going back again to the email, and YAAA I ACCEPTED!!! never feeling these happiness before! :'D I accepted in my first laboratory, and I had free fee for the registrasion fee and the dormitory. I really feeling blessed, I really feel thankful cause i've already take my first step. Check my longest bucket list that I always want. Thankyou
I am really excited will going to Japan for doing a research. more excited after I know that Tsukuba University is one of the best campus in Japan. But day by day my happiness disappear replaces with anxiety. I start overthinking, like will i survive there ? this is my first research, can i do it well ? can i read the histology structure easily ? and the other thought that makes me afraid. I told my mom, and my mom said "don't worry, you know God always have a plan for you. This is not happen acciendaty. Just be positive, and prepare your things.
I try to positive thinking every single day before the day that i have to survive in the other country, without my family.
The day's coming, I'm going to Japan on 16th July, saying good bye with my family and start my solo travelling. My first day alone was run well. I went to Asakusa first and stayed a night there. Walking around Sensoji temple is the best place to visit ( I recommended this!), after that I tried to taste the premium matcha ice cream. You know it was very a long queque to can try this premium matcha. But it's taste very delicious.
The second day, I check out from the hotel and going to Tsukuba. You know, this is the reality begin. I arrived at the dormitory, and started to study here. Learn about the pathology of lung cancer. for the next day, because i the summer research start on 18th.
On 18th I'm going to the campus,introduce my self with the other lab members. And you know, the first day in the campus is very hard i thought. I've had a lectures from the Sensei there and after the lectures, she gave me five papers that i have to read, and it's all about genetics (actually, I've never learn this before in my campus) so i must study hard to know this well. In the night we have welcoming party with the other participants. I'm very happy cause so many Indonesian friends, and they are very nice :).
The second day, I had a lectures about the classification of lung adenocarcinoma, you know the lectures is totally different from my campus. Before the lectures start, we must study about the topic before, and write what we've been studying last night. And on the lectures, Sensei will ask you what you have been study. After Sensei told about the classification, he order me to see the types on the microscope ( this is the hard part for me to, because actualy in my campus, i didn't study about histology very clear) so i was hard and i must tried harder to classified it.
After the lectures end, i start doing my research about immunohistochemistry. I doing the research with Dr. Ryan. dr. Ryan is a Phd student from Indonesia, and he is very kind, and helpfully. I thought I am very blessed can meet him in Tsukuba. He taught me many things, and yes we can talk easily with Bahasa HAHA (make us speak easily rite ?) 
Actually all my weekdays schedules is full with doing my research. I have to work hard because I don't want to piss my self. and because I'm the only one student from my campus, so I have to make my campus proud of me rite ? It was hard for the first time, but I enjoyed a lot!
My first weekend in Tsukuba was very tired. I did Hiking at Tsukuba mountain. Actually this is my second experience for hiking. My first experience is at Batur Mountain. It's not so high as Batur, but did you know, we are hiking at 12:00PM!!! it was so hot, meanwhile when we was at Batur we hiked at 03:00PM. It was so tired, but after reach the top of the mountain, it is so relaxing. we can see the Tsukuba city from the top. We went back from the top by cable car. it was reliefing me because i was so tired because hiked up. On Sunday i just went to the IIAS Mall for shopping and eating lunch, not a special day I thought, because after climbed make me very tired. 

The second week begin...

My second week is more crowded than the first week. My experiment is finished, and I have to observe what I just finished from the experiment. I obeserve about 200 histological type of lung cancer on microscope. It took a long time to observe them, because It was my first time too. 
On Tuesday, we had Welcoming party. Seriously the party on the second week ? yes haha, I thought because all of my lab member is very busy, so they make the welcoming party on the second week. But it was a pleasure, they treated me very well there. I really appreciate Japan with their "On Time and hard working" My welcoming party started at 12:00PM and they really start the party at the time. and ended the party at 01:00PM and they really ended! going back to do their job like nothing happen before. I've never been see like this before, I was so surprise and stunned. 

My hard day was on Wednesday and Tuesday. I start to input the data to SPSS, and luckyly the data has significant result and it is a good data. After all the datas inputed, I have to makes the presentation, and this is the hardest part. I have to make a simple presentation because I just have 7 minutes for the presentation. So I have to present my presentation simply but very and briefly. I made it. but some slides wasn't good enough, so Sensei told me to remove some slide, or fix it, or add something. Soo hard. Need to read some papers again to support my result. Soo my time to going back to Dorm more day more night. At first time went back and 5 PM, after that 7 PM and until on Thursday I went back to my Dormitory at 10:00 PM. and some stupidity was I went back by bicycle! haha until now i don't understand my self, why I took ride a bicycle at that time and alone. Maybe for relieving my stress, because i love doing some activity to relieving stress. HAHA

On Friday we had rehearsal for the presentation. I feel so relax after did the rahearsal. The commentator just comment for the grammar, and the content is good enough he told. 
My second weekend was amazing! we had Tokyo tour, We went to Asakusa, Harajuku, and Akihabara. In these time I feel so happy, not just because we can know Tokyo, but also we know each other. The SRP 2017 students and the other Tsukuba university students. We had alot of fun and also so tired because we walked anywhere and ride bicycle for 12KM for this day! so tired but really enjoyed!

My last Sunday in Tsukuba filled with practice for presentation day, packed all my things, and also clean up the dormitory room before leaving :(. So sad, time flies fast rite :')

The day's coming. This is the last day!!! we have to to the presentation. I'm very easy getting nervous. But in this time I try to control it :') and it was succes I thought because I can saw the audience and can presented briefly. I think It was my first time can control my nervous.

After all students finished their presentation, we had farewell party. (u know this is the hardest time) leaving is the hardest thing rite :(. We had fun a lot, and sad a lot :'). I took pictures with all friends before we don't know when we will meet again, because we are in different country. 

And now time to going back. I went to Tsukuba Center for taking bus to Narita Airport. I met Taiwanese friends because we took the same bus, and after arrived at Narita we saying good bye each others because having the different Terminal for going back. 
Good Bye! I really have a best memories in Tsukuba, I really can feel like Japanese student who is focus when studying, on time, always learn everyday. Really feel like japanese people, taking bus, riding bycycle, and all best memories that I can't forget :'). So many things that makes me wanna come back there! hopefully I can!
Thank you for all the commites that made this 8th Summer Research Program amazing! They was very totality to organize this program. 



here we are at the top of Tsukuba Mountain



all students with the leader

what i did in Lab

Indonesian fellow

the girls wearing yukata, the japanese traditional dress

All lab members of Diagnostic and Surgery Pathology

With Dr. Ryan

Presentation time. Was so nervous answering the question from my friends


You Might Also Like

3 komentar

  1. Hebat kk Devii!!
    Proud reading this blog story. hopefully always healthy to be able to japan again ya :D

    BalasHapus
  2. Sukses terus devi.. ak baca ceritanya sambil ngebayangin realitanya.. asik dn seru bgt ��

    BalasHapus
  3. thank you! yeahh I wish I can come back to Japan again someday

    BalasHapus